kvale

Friday, September 30, 2005

new words are flowing...not all good

Great Gram called kks "a little magpie" a few months ago. Kks' ability to repeat words and phrases has increased, and with greater clarity. I find this clarity quite musical. There continues to be this garbled speech that I don't understand on a daily basis. This morning I said to her "it's time to go." She reapeated as if acting as my tape recorder. I have never found a child's speech so musical as with this little girl. Is it that she was made by the hand of God with the help of her parents? Is it that she likes me a lot more than she used to? I suppose I will enjoy the music and give thanks.

Not every kks utterance is musical. Language development is not under the scepter of parental control. Kks has responded to recent directives without even an appearance of thinking: "I don't want to ____________ (fill in the blank)." The blank was expanded this morning as she did not want to put on clothing. This statement was followed by "shut up." This is not a statement we use in our house. One caveat with that statement, we don't seem to have an issue with certain vulgarities coming from Mom and Dad's mouth (we have not crossed that bridge yet), so we don't claim to be paragons of holy speech. Shut up sounds rude--so we told her "shut up" would bring a time out. In our parental interpretation, it appears there was some level of understanding. Maybe Dad will receive a time out in the next few weeks...

Next week kks gets on an airplane for what may be her 6th or 7th round trip. I'm sure there will be something to say about that. Let's go see Nana and Grandpere and Great Gram and more of the fam damily!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home