kvale

Monday, December 19, 2005

Becoming royalty after 25 years

Shopping as a leisure activity leaves me cold. But we also have retail in our family lineage. At the very least, my brothers and I know our way around any retail establishment. I enjoy shopping when I have a mission: entertaining guests, preparing for family rituals, showing generosity.

I like Advent and Christmas time. I fail to see how retail bashing is helpful to public discourse about the holiday. Like the world needs more complaining. I try to make conscious decisions not go crazy and look for opportunities to model generosity. Many activities take on new levels of fun with kks. I hear this a lot from parents: looking at the Holidays through the eyes of a child brings a new joy. To me, finding many outlets for joy during the holidays means getting through the winter. It's not the cold that bothers me, nor is it the dark that takes down my spirits. It is the green deprivation that hurts. Some might say that the world needs to take a break from greenery for a few months. If this is true, why did God create evergreens? I miss the evergreens. To put an evergreen in the house and cover it with lights reminds me of the joys of God's creation.

Kks' curiosity about the sights, sounds and events of the month of December take me to a new place, even in the mall. We walked through the Empire Mall in Sioux Falls singing Jingle Bells over and over. I have not had such fun singing this song in more than 25 years. Kks holiday musical repetoire consists of "Gingle Bells" and "Santa Claus, Go Straight To The Ghetto." She prefers the Jingle Bells version done by the Barenaked Ladies. Last night in the car she rejected the rendition of Jingle Bells by
Sammy Davis, Jr.

The only way we had enough energy to sing Jingle Bells 20 times or so was our nutritious meal. The options around us had many drawbacks. One option sound intriguing: the Royal Fork. I could still taste the averageness of the food from the last time I ate there 25 years ago back in Renton, Washington. But...I could sit in a booth. Kks and I didn't have to wait around for our meal, and, she could get what she wanted. I told my parents I felt ashamed. We have made fun of the Royal Fork in the past. Many of the stereotypes of the Royal Fork and other buffets are true. Kks and I waited in line for a good 5-10 minutes waiting for an elderly gentleman who could not understand the directions of the hostess. In the end our visit worked out well. I made a good parenting decision, as if I knew my daughter. There is no shame in that. We became royalty at the Royal Fork.

I smell an ad campaign coming on...it smells like Salisbury Steak.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home